Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Pompeii, A city destroyed!


Sorry for the long delay in posts....sometimes life just gets in the way!

Our next was a visit to Pompeii-the famous city destroyed in 79 A.D. by Mt. Vesuvius. An entire town erased by nature's fury.

The area was first excavated by King Olaf from Sweden, and it continues right up to this day. Most of the people perished from suffocation from the poisonous gases and were then covered in lava and ashes. During the excavation they found skeletons "frozen" in the positions they were in when the gases came over the city. They poured plaster around them to "recreate" the bodies, and that is what we see as bodies today.



We toured one small area of the city--I think you could spend months exploring the areas the map showed! We saw a plaza with columns & jail cells around the perimeter where men were kept & forced to fight as gladiators. Houses with many rooms, some of them in pretty good condition & even a brothel where some paintings had just been renovated. We stood at a few intersections & looking in all four directions, we could see the road was "paved" with stones & very uneven.


In a separate area, we saw lots of pottery & statues that had been excavated. We also saw 2 or 3 bodies. I must admit I expected to see more--thought I had on a Discovery show on Pompeii--but guess I was mistaken.

I found this visit extremely interesting but also kind of eerie. Eerie because when you look at the hills below this still active volcano and see the towns built right in its path, one cannot help but think what the mentality of these people is. I know that I no longer think that it will never happen here or to me.

It was 110 degrees F, so as you can imagine it was plenty hot! We arrived in Rome later in the day to a beautiful view from our hotel window of St. Peter's Basilica.

That evening we had a lovely dinner at a restaurant where we were serenaded by 3 Tenors--one a Spanaird, one an Italian, and one a female from Korea. The restaurant had low ceilings and their amazing voices filled the room. A magical evening!

Next join me as I visit Rome!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Your Pompeii photos are fascinating. I have to remember to show them to my daughter when she gets home from school.

Ming the Merciless said...

Love your Pompeii photos. I have heard about the x-rated paintings on the wall. :-)

One my friends said I have to go to Rome because it is the most beautiful city in the world. I will have to make a trip day one day....soon.