Saturday, October 6, 2007

Naples & Capri



Enroute to Naples where we board our ferry to the Isle of Capri, we passed groves of olive trees and field after field of sunflowers. I felt like I was looking at a Van Gogh painting! That's how beautiful they were! Of course, the sunflowers were being grown to make sunflower oil.

Naples is a busy port city with lots of traffic, pollution and unsavory characters roaming around. Unfortunately, it does not have the best of reputations. However, it was the transport to almost another world...the beautiful island of Capri.



Capri was full of beautiful vistas, blue water, yachts, and tourists and has long been touted as the place to see and be seen! While we did see the area where the rich/famous hang out and the paparazzi go to chase after them, I was far more interested in the scenery!



After a tram right up to the top of the island and a delightful lunch, we set out on a walking tour to visit a villa that was owned & renovated by a Swedish Doctor, Axel Munthe, called Villa San Michele. Munthe loved the island and penned several books about its history. Not only were the gardens and views incredibly beautiful, but the home was filled with antiques, some dating back to ancient Egypt.

We road the funicular (incline railway) back down and along the way got a view of the famous blue grotto. Due to time constraints, we were not able to take the short boat ride in, but the view inside the caves is supposed to be breathtaking--the water apparently appears very blue & lit from beneath the water. Oh, well, maybe next time.


Back at our hotel, we had a great view of Mt. Vesuvius in the backgroud, and the marketplace in the foreground. From early morning this marketplace is filled with vegetable, fruit and other vendors from which restaurants & individuals shop. Very busy!

This post marks about 2/3 of the trip! Thanks again, for all who continue to join me.
Next: Pompeii

5 comments:

gilfling said...

Oh I am all caught up with your holiday posts - I had gotten so behind but I am so glad I managed to read them. Venice looked absolutely stunning - it has long been on my list of places to go and now that I have read your experiences I am wanting to go even more!! It is a shame Naples was not so beautiful - I guess Naples Yellow has always been my favourite paint colour and I was hoping the place would be as beautiful - perhaps not. Looking forward to reading more!!!

Sonia said...

What a gorgeous photos! It looks you all had a great and pleasant trip! I am looking forward to see more photos!

Have a nice week ahead!

stilettoheights said...

lovely....I am so in love with your blog right now.

I am very excited about pompei

Ming the Merciless said...

I love your photos of Capri. I have very vague memories of it since I was there when I was like 10 years old.

What did you eat? Any food photos?

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Ming...never gave it a thought to photo the food, but we did have a glorious meal at the top of the mountain.

We dined on pasta with arugula, fish with mashed potatoes..but the best was the ice cream. It was a mixture of white cream, coffee, and grand marnier! Need I say more? Yum!