Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A View From The Top Of The World!






We spent another day in Lucerne, Switzerland, visiting beautiful Mt. Pilatus. The mountain is mainly a summer vacation/hiking destination. We road a cog-wheel railway up to the summit-7000 feet above sea level. This is the world's steepest cog railway--at times we were going almost straight up! The trip up took about 45 minutes. It was about 37 degrees F at the top/3 degrees C! So at 10:30 am we were eating swiss barley soup, hot cocoa & expresso!

After we arrived at the top, we braved the cold walk up rugged stairs to see all the beautiful views. You could 6 or so peaks, mountains, small villages down below. It was breath-taking and I truly felt like I was on top of the world!

Back on the main level we were treated to a "concert" by costumed Alphorn blowers. What's an Alphorn? Glad you asked...It's that horn you see on the Ricola commercials! It was amazing the range of tone you can get out of a long wooden horn just by changing your breath!

Our trip back down was by aerial cable cars. We started out in a big car that held 25 people--looked like a ski tram, and then transferred into four person cars. About halfway down we saw a herd of long horn cattle all wearing bells! It really was a cute site!

Later on, we had some time to browse around Lucerne. There was a beautiful wooden walking bridge that took you from one side of the river to the other. Along the whole way were windowboxes filled with flowers-beautiful reds and purples!

Next: our visit to one of the smallest countries in the world!

5 comments:

June said...

Your pictures are breath taking! It has been many years since I have been to Switzerland...your pic bring back great memories. Thanks for the comment on my blog, I really appreciate it!
June

Ming_the_Merciless said...

I was in Lucerne a couple years ago too but I didn't do as much as you did. I was staying with friends near Basel so I was in Lucerne for a day trip only. Wish I had more time to do some of the fabulous things you did.

You're heading to Lichtenstein???

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Ah Debbie, I have always wanted to go to Switzerland. Thank you for taking me along.

Thank you too for linking up!

The Boston Lady said...

I was fortunate to travel to Lucerne with my parents in the 1970s and remember the beauty that your pictures reflect. Cool, crisp air and spectacular scenery. Ann

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thank you Laura and Ann for revisiting this post with me! So many fun memories!