Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dog days of Summer

I see the end of summer coming over the horizon. I smell school supplies-sharpened pencils, new notebooks, and the regrettable expensive calculator that we will undoubtedly have to buy. We were never allowed to use calculators when I was in school--now kids can't function (pun intended!) without them!

It has gotten very busy here as Summer draws to a close. Volleyball Camp has started, which means making 2 trips 20 minutes away to a school in the next town to drop off and pick up. Next week is open gym at our school-a "voluntary" chance to go in and get some pointers from the coach. The last week of August begins tryouts followed by practice starting on the Thursday for those who make the team. I have not learned all the ins and outs and protocol, but I think my daughter is assured her spot on the JV Team.

Add the all this, the necessary shopping trips to get school supplies, new clothes, and sneakers. When did "cool" sneakers start costing so much?! I guess all my years of bargain shopping are over! Lol!

Somewhere I will have to fit in time for myself. Last night I received a custom order for 3 bunches of miniature french beaded flowers. The buyer is making an art bra to be auctioned off to benefit breast cancer research. Despite her submission deadline of Sept. 1-which makes mine much earlier!-I am thrilled to be a part of such a worthy endeavour.

I hope to return soon to take you to the next country on our journey, Holland!

1 comment:

jewelstreet said...

I love shopping for school supplies. I undoubtedly buy just as much for myself as for my daughter. I can't help it. It's a weakness.