Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My First Job


This week's creative challenge is to make something inspired by your first job. Well, that was a long time ago, LOL!

My first job was in a "five and dime" called Woolworth's, short for FW Woolworth's. Perhaps some of you have heard of it? I started there when I was 16, after school and on Saturdays, and basically worked on the bottom floor in the back of the store. With "promotions" you eventually worked your way up to the front, then upstairs, well you get the idea. I got my first promotion pretty quickly, BUT....

I never made it out of the basement as we called it. In fact a room as small as a closet became my domain. I became the sign maker for the entire store. I would go into work, go into my little room and there would be piles of little notes, almost like love notes, from all the departments telling me what signs they needed me to make.

Printing was antiquated, this was after all the early 1970s. I set the type using individual metal letters into a form (backwards, of course), using the proper sizes, styles,etc. Then I used a brayer to ink the letters. The ink was a beautiful aqua color, and I can still smell it if I close my eyes. Then I would lay down the sign blank which was precut to size, always white and a bit like posterboard. Close the lid, slide the roller, lift the top and voila, there you have the sign. I'd let them dry and then deliver them to the appropriate departments where they would be slid into metal frames.

Kind of like my own perpetual art show!

So...the above aceo was inspired by my first job, how? First, it's a sign. Second, it's a message to always move forward and go after your dreams. It will be available later today in my etsy shop.

So,what was your first job?

7 comments:

Caroline said...

I've heard of Woolworth's! My great (great?) grandfather had a hand in shaping the Watertown, NY Woolworth's in its early days.

http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/1800s-biogwhm.htm


My first job was as a camp counselor, then as a waitress... thankfully, the jobs got better from there! ;)

Sandra Eileen - Artisan Jewelry For Your Good Life said...

Ahh, I remember Woolworths, they had a little spot where you could buy candies and warmed nuts.

MaryAnn said...

Woolworths rocked growing up! They had fish, birds and the now illegal turtles. Loved it! Also was the first place my mom took me to buy fabric.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Maryann, I actually started in Fabrics! What I remember as a really young child was going shopping with my Mom and eating at the lunch counter.

By the time I worked there, they had moved to a different building & had more of a restaurant.

stilettoheights said...

I remember hearing of Woolworth's but they were long gone in our town...your piece is wonderful.

gilfling said...

Oh I loved hearing the story of your first job. It's funny as we have woolworths here in the UK - I had always thought it was a very British thing - I had no idea it was born in the US! My first job (whilst still at school) was cleaning taxi cabs - I then got 'promoted' to working in the office. Mmm maybe this is why I am finding it difficult to be inspired for this creative challenge!

I love your ACEO and the inspiration for it!

lorenzstudio said...

Thank you for the kind comments on my blog!

My dad reminded me just the other day about a time when we were at Woolworths when I was very little. They were having a promotional drawing, and lucky little me won a diamond! I have no idea where it is today. I have a feeling it was so small, I must have lost it!