Monday, June 4, 2007

A Family Heirloom



It's an overcast, rainy Monday here in craftymooseland. Despite that, my mood is good & I plan to get a lot done today. Since I don't have much to say today, I thought I would talk about one of the other projects I made-not for sale, just to decorate our home.

This quilt actually hangs in our downstairs bath. It takes up one entire wall. I made it from a pattern by a quilt artist whose name escapes me at the moment--but it is with the embellishing that originality comes into play. I'll list (since we all like lists so much ! LOL!) some of the embellishments...

1)The majority of the big colorful fish are cut from fabric & appliqued on.

2)Just above dead center on the quilt you may be able to see a small sand snail shell. This is a shell that I collected while visiting my grandfather in Southern Italy back in the 70s. He lived at the top of a mountain & we took walks everyday along the roads in the hills.

3)Here & there are some smaller blown glass fish & one or two wooden ones that started out life as earrings.

4)In the top left corner is a blue glazed sand dollar which was part of a necklace given to me over 20 years ago.

5)The mermaid, left of center, I made out of polymer clay, fabric, sequins & beads.

6)Below the mermaid is a lobster toy from a Happy Meal our daughter ate as a child.

7)Moving right is seaweed I made from tulle that my mom gave me.

8)And, the coral base is a brooch and the branches a repurposed necklace that had belonged to my husband's family.

Writing this blog has made me appreciate this quilt even more. Hopefully some day, I can pass it down to our daughter.

Anyone with a family heirloom story?

4 comments:

jewelstreet said...

No family heirloom here unless you count that every first born girl has to have the middle name of Leigh or the baby jacket that my great-grandmother made for me that my daughter wore as a baby. Nothing really fascinating like yours.

I love that quilt, and I especially love how all the things that you used from family. It's really amazing, and I just know that your daughter is going to love when you hand it down to her.

stilettoheights said...

wow...that is so intricate!!!!!!

I love lists, I wish I could write everything in list form.

Ming_the_Merciless said...

My aunt in NC made me a gorgeous quilt. It is gorgeous and I rarely use it because she said, "You cannot wash it in the machine!"

Oy, then how am I suppose to wash it OR is it only for decoration? Of course I didn't ask her that. I'm wondering aloud.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

This quilt also cannot be washed in the machine-I shake it out to dust it.

When I make a quilt to use, I prewash and dry the fabric, so it is preshrunk, and then cut & make the quilt. In that way, it is washer and dryer safe.