Friday, June 1, 2007

Collections

I decided to make a list of all the things I collect or have collected over the years of my life. So here goes:

1)Stamps-I started out when I was 9 or 10 and collected stamps from all over the world. I've slowed down quite a bit and have now limited my collection to the US up to 2005.

2)Spoons-Those kitschy ones with the names and places you visit on vacation. I try to collect one from everywhere I've been--I have 2 racks full so far.


3)Elephant things-Elephants are of sentimental value to my dh and me. Our first date
(blind date, I might add) took us to the Bronx Zoo. We clicked right away & got so involved talking that we actually walked in circles & always found ourselves at the Elephant House. That became "our little thing" and now nearly 16 years later, I still buy him a new elephant of some kind be it a statue, magnet, mug etc. I actually made 2 that are in our collection. (polymer clay following patterns)


4)Animal statues-Again something I started as a child because I love animals. My latest addition to this one is a brown bear that I got in Idaho. It started with unicorns & tigers which I have the most of. I have lots of others including a camel, llama, seals, penguins, hedgehog, and flamingo.

5)Blown glass-again mostly animals-camel, dragon, unicorn, flamingo, turtle, penguin, pelican, rhino & lobster to name but a few. Also bicycle & Christmas tree. So, yes you could say I have a glass menagerie!


6)Southwestern stuff-I love the area, I love the look & have my living room decorated in that style. Besides buffalo,boots, candles, & a mandela..I have 2 large paper mache cacti (one I made) a stuffed howling coyote that I made, a quilt I made & a paper mache steer head I painted. Much more, but this post can't go on forever!

Wow, I collected more than I thought when I sat down to think about it. And my last collection which is ongoing and very much loved is.....

7)Elvis memorabilia-Including 2 bottles of wine from the Elvis Presley Vineyards, a replica of Rusty Wallace's #2 Elvis car (any nascar fans?), figures, plates, a cow dressed as Elvis and my latest a set of Elvis matreska dolls.


Which brings me to this Friday's Question...What do you collect? I invite anyone interested to post here or in their blog & let me know.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

jewelstreet said...

Oh, that is such a great idea! I will post in my blog about what I collect tomorrow or Monday.

You collect stamps(like you all ready know) and blown glass like my daughter. I collect elephants among other things. I'll show the collection on my blog.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Great Aimee! I can't wait to see and hear about your collections!

Ming_the_Merciless said...

OMG, that is such a romantic story!! Maybe I should go to the Bronx Zoo and try out my luck. :-)

Does it help if I hang out in the Elephant House???

Ming_the_Merciless said...

N.B.: I used to collect stamps too. But since I moved to NYC, and previously to college, I had to give away a lot of my stuff.

Now, all I collect are travel books.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

LOL Ming! I'll bet inside the Elephant House is rather smelly, but the vicinity sure gave us good luck!

Travel books are cool-I love looking at them & they have begun to inspire my ACEOs.

Tara said...

I collect cat items, like teapots, cups, figurines. I'm also starting to collect Fire King dishes and milk glass, which remind me of my grandparents. My mother would add that I also collect dust and clutter...

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Lol dust & clutter! All my collections are in a wall unit with glass doors--but dust still finds its way in!

Thanks for your comment, Tara.

stilettoheights said...

oh, I actually got tagged a while back to list 7 things I collect or hqave collected I keep meaning to do it but know it will show the world how dorky I am....

lol

wonderful list