Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What do you want to be when you grow up?


I got a fast start on this week's creative challenge. The theme was create something inspired by what you want to be when you grow up. That was an easy one for me!

I always wanted to be an artist-from when I was little, this was all I dreamed of. For those of you who might remember-there was a "mail order" art school that used to send you a little "art test" for free, with, of course, the hope they could convince you to enroll in their school. Well...I sent away for one, completed it and send it back for comments--all without my parents knowledge. Don't you think I was mortified when a representative of the school showed up at our house, no call, letter or anything-just showed up at our house to give the critique!

I grew up in the late 60s-70s and although I wanted to go to art school, I thought I could not support myself as an artist. Remember, this was pre-computer, pre-graphic, artist online, etc.

So, I went with my second choice-wanted to help people--and became a Medical Assistant. I worked for nearly 15 years for an Australian Surgeon, a wonderful man who remains a part of my life. I had a rewarding career and several of his patients became close friends. I visited one on and off for many years until her death about 5 years ago. Another who I still correspond with, actually showed up at our wedding!

Around the time I got engaged, my boss decided to retire. To make a long story short, I got married, had our daughter, and was lucky to be a stay at home mom. Once she got old enough, with my husband's encouragement, I began to do local craft shows & eventually found Etsy.

I feel blessed and fortunate to have the love and support of my family to dabble in my dreams.

Here's my latest ACEO, called Supernova.It's in my Etsy shop.

If you've read this to the end, I thank you!

5 comments:

jewelstreet said...

I love it. The whole thing. The ACEO, the story, all of it. Great work!

thatsheadley said...

What a great story! Whatever did your parents do when the art school rep showed up?

Craftymoose Crafts said...

My parents sat through the whole presentation! Funny...I really don't recall them getting particularly mad at me!

stilettoheights said...

this is a wonderful story, and I remember those tests too, I was always afraid to fill them out.

gilfling said...

Oh what a fabulous story!! Your parents must have marvelled at your independance!

Isn't it funny how so many people dreaming of being artists, end up in the medical/caring profession of some kind? I too seriously wanted to go to art school, but ended up studying nursing and working with people with developmental difficulties.

The ACEO is fantastic!